I believe you must be looking for either one of these:
1. You want to make money by starting a blog
2. You already started your own blog and now is looking for actionable ways to monetize your blog site.
Now, whatever your reason may be, if you think blogging is simple and easy, then you might want to think about it again. It is a business, a long-term business process that will bear fruit after you treat it like a serious business.
Whether you want to start a blog or are looking to make money from blogging (after you already start your blog site), I can not stress enough on the importance of choosing a niche based on your keyword research, because your niche will decide how much money you will be able to make and how early you can make money from your blog.
There is no point in choosing a niche that does not cater to the need of a particular audience. The more specific niche you choose, the lesser your competitors will be and the better for you to make money out of your blog.
Making money from a blog is not impossible though, but it might not be that easy either.
The sweet spot in making money from blogging lies in offering something which your audience needs and wants with the particular niche you have chosen!
Once you choose a niche that is profitable and that too after doing thorough keyword research, this is what you must do – Create Deliberate content.
What I mean by deliberate content is that you create content that is exactly searched by people.
That also means, creating your blog title which conveys what your audience will get and compels them to go through what you are going to say.
You also do not need a ton of traffic to make money from your blog as long as you focus on the targeted audience and offer what they need.
If done right, blogging can help you make huge money. Yes, huge money.
Blogging is NOT a get-rich-quick scheme. And you need to sweat for it.
If you haven’t started blogging yet, here is a guide on how to start with a blog.
In this post, we will be talking about how you can make money out of blogging even for a beginner.
Here are practical ways to monetize your blog and make money out of it.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Sponsored Posts Or Paid Reviews
- Banner Ads Display
- Google AdSense
- Selling Your Services
- Selling Digital Products
- Selling Online Courses
- Offer Consultation Or Services.
1. Affiliate Marketing:
Affiliate Marketing is the best and ultimate way to earn passive income from blogging even for a beginner
Affiliate Marketing is where you recommend products to someone with your affiliate link which has your unique name or id. When the product is purchased, you will earn a commission and you can actually make money even while you sleep.
It is one of the cheapest ways to make money online.
There are hundreds of affiliate networks you can register to for free and pick any product relevant to your niche and promote them to your target audience.
The most common affiliate networks are:
- Amazon Associates
- Commission Junction ( Conversant)
You will earn even up to 75% commissions from these platforms.
Amazon pays the lowest in terms of affiliate payouts. The commission ranges from 1% to 10% depending on the product category.
However, there are thousands and thousands of products that your customer can choose from and even if they didn’t buy the product you are promoting but purchase other items, you will still get the commission for the whole items they bought. This will add up your earnings.
You can also start an Amazon product affiliate website. If you do it right and put out good content, it will bring traffic from search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
If you are running out of time and literally want to learn Affiliate Marketing within a few days and become profitable right away, then join the Affiliate Millionaire here.
Pros Of Affiliate Marketing:
- No need to have nor create your own product.
- You promote other vendors’ products for free. You will get access to their ad copies and banners for free to help you promote their products to your audience
- You can work and make money from anywhere in the world and have a laptop lifestyle.
- No upfront cost or Low upfront cost if you build your own website or an email list to start promoting your affiliate products)
- It’s a great passive income source that helps you make money even while you sleep
- You are helping people by promoting useful products that solve their problems and make money at the same time – a win-win situation.
- Some affiliate programs offer a ‘lifetime cookie period’. That means if they didn’t buy it now after clicking your affiliate links, but decided to buy later, then you will still get paid.
Cons Of Affiliate Marketing:
- You need to create deliberate content for your target audience as you cannot just paste your affiliate links anywhere you want.
- You need to use an email-mail marketing software like Convertvit to be able to make consistent sales.
2. Sponsored Posts Or Paid Reviews
Sponsored posts or Paid reviews are those posts you are paid for when you create an article specifically on a particular product or software the company offered.
In other words, they are a promotional review of the product or service which is usually written by the blog owner. There are also some companies that provide free content.
It can be a one-time payment ranging from $25 to $1000 depending on your niche, site authority, and competition in the market.
You will also get affiliate commissions from the sales.
If you believe in the product or have used the product and find it useful and good, this is another free way of creating a blog post while you get paid for it.
Typically most bloggers charge between $100 to $1000 for each sponsored post. The money you make from sponsored reviews depends on the niche, your site’s authority, and competition.
Pros Of Paid Reviews:
- You have the right to approve and post what type of content you want to post on your website.
- You get paid without much work if the brand or company provides you with the content.
- You also have the advantage of customizing the promo codes for your specific audience.
- You may also be given the premium product for free if you are a known brand.
Cons Of Paid Reviews:
- If you promote a product that is not relevant but just for the money of over-hype it, your audience might lose faith in you. Make sure it will help your audience.
- The brand or company might not allow you to edit the content according to your wish.
3. Banner Ads Display
It depends on several factors such as your niche, the authority your website has, the amount of traffic you get, and so on.
On average, you can expect to earn $50 and more per banner ad depending on the size. If your blog is getting huge traffic, you can even charge between $500 to $2000 per month for selling banner ads.
Pros Of Banner Ads Display:
- You can control the display ads showing up on your blog or website, in terms of the location and size of the ads to be displayed. You can also remove them if you find them inappropriate for your target audience.
- You can earn more with banner ads when compared to AdSense.
- You can charge them on a monthly basis.
Cons Of Display Ads:
- It can slow the loading time of your website.
- Sometimes, the ads may not be appropriate for your audience.
4. Google AdSense
Google AdSense is an ad publishing network from Google that helps bloggers to earn money and allows publishers to pay for showing their ads. It is one of the best free ways to make money from blogging, especially for beginners.
How Does Google AdSense Work?
Google charges the advertisers per ad click. The website owners or publishers get 51% to 68% of the click amount, which would be mostly between $0.20 to $15 or more.
AdSense earnings can be much higher if you’re running a blog on insurance, loans, mortgage, attorney, etc. in comparison to other niches.
Here are the some of the top 10 CPC AdSense:
- Insurance – $61 CPC
- Gas/Electricity – $58 CPC
- Loans – $50 CPC
- Mortgage – $46 CPC
- Attorney – $48 CPC
- Lawyer – $42 CPC
- Donate – $42 CPC
- Conference Call – $42 CPC
- Degree – $40 CPC
- Credit – $38 CPC
You will need to create an AdSense account. You will be provided a code that you need to place in the pages or header of your website to start showing ads on your website and earn money from ad clicks.
The type of AdSense offered by Google are:
- Text and display
- Matched content
Another factor to increase your AdSense earnings is targeting the top-tier countries.
|No.||Country||Avg. CPC ($)||Max. CPC ($)||Avg. CTR %||Average RPM ($)|
|1||United States (US)||0.40 – 2.3||>50||2-3||2.04|
|2||Canada||0.50 – 2||>30||2||1.83|
|3||United Kingdom (UK)||0.10 – 1.6||>19||1-2||1.37|
|4||Germany||0.40 – 1||>11||1-3||2.62|
|5||Thailand||0.30 – 1||6||2||1.6|
Tip: You can also view which keywords get your competition the most clicks and revenue using SEMRush.
All you have to do is:
- Find an authority site in your niche.
- Enter that site on the search bar in SEMRush
- Scroll to ‘Top Organic Keywords’ and click on ‘See Full Report’ sort it by CPC.
- You can repeat with other sites and see the keywords.
Can You Make $100 Per Day With AdSense?
The formula for earning per click is = Visitors * CTR * CPC + Visitors/1000 * RPM
Let’s assume for a United States CPC.
Suppose, your blog has 15,000 visitors per day, you can get around $100/day.
(15,000 * 1% * $0.5 + 15,000/1000*$2 = $105/day)
How Can You Achieve 15,000 Page Views Per Day?
You can either choose either the following-
- Produce 15 articles that get 1000 page views daily, which may be hard to achieve.
- Produce 150 articles that get 100 page views daily, which is more easier to achieve.
Pros Of Using Google AdSense:
- It is free to join.
- Google creates your ads.
- You can place ads on multiple sites from a single AdSense account (extremely useful if you’re running multiple niche sites)
- You can control the ads you show.
- You can even customize the ads by changing the text, color, backgrounds, or borders to match your website’s design.
Cons Of Using Google AdSense:
1. In case of fraudulent cases like generating automated traffic, or artificial clicks, etc, Google can close your AdSense account anytime they want.
2. Generally, AdSense pays very little even if you generate a ton of traffic or clicks every day as your traffic is not always from top-tier countries.
3. AdSense ads slow your page loading times which then affects your website’s user experience.
5. Sell Your Own Services
The fifth practical way you can make money from your blog is by offering your services on your website itself.
You can build a portfolio and let your audience know that you also offer services.
The common services which are in great demand are:
- Freelancing work like content writing, ad copy, editing and proofreading, guest posting, etc.
- Graphic designing – you can offer to create banners or logos for brands.
- Web Designing
- Web Developing
- Creating Mobile Apps
- WordPress Installation
- Event management
- Running Facebook Ads
- Link Building
- Site Audits
- Video Marketing
- Creating Resume
- And much more.
One of the best places to sell your designs and services is Fiverr. It’s free to join and there is no charge for posting your gigs.
Prominent freelance writers charge thousands of dollars per article depending according to their skill and experience.
You might not be able to earn in thousands when you are starting out, but you can earn from $50 to $100 per hour for your work.
Pros Of Selling Your Services:
- You can land clients for the long term even for years.
- You can work anywhere, anytime, and for anyone.
- There is unlimited potential to make money depending on your skills, how you market yourself, and how you attract high-paying clients.
- A better work-life balance and you can stay connected with your family and friends.
- You have the opportunity to choose your clients.
Cons Of Selling Your Services:
- It is difficult to land a client when you are just starting out.
- Your income stops when you stop working.
- Your clients may not be willing to pay after the project is completed. You can avoid this by making them pay some percent before actually starting the project.
6. Selling Digital Products
If you have any expertise in a particular industry, you can sell directly to your audience in the form or digital products like eBooks, checklists, planners, PDFs, stock images, tunes, files, and the list goes on.
They can be easily downloaded and can be used instantly from a smartphone or a desktop.
Selling your own digital product is one of a great way to make passive income as you need not share any commission to anyone and pocket the profit by yourself unless you make affiliate program for the product.
Pros Of Selling Your Own Digital Products:
- You got to keep all the profits.
- You don’t have to deliver the products physically as they can be downloaded as zip files or PDF files.
- You don’t need to have a degree or certificate to create one.
- You can find the resources on the internet for free.
Cons Of Selling Your Own Digital Product:
- You have to deal with the customers.
- Your product can be pirated by others and made available free of cost to others on various platforms.
7. Selling Online Courses
Creating an online course is not an easy task even if you have expertise in a particular industry.
You can share your secrets and strategies and bundle them in the form of courses.
The niches are endless. It can be music, sound engineering, marketing, creating anything, carpentry, etc. that are useful to your target audience, you can even earn millions of dollars from online courses and use platforms like Gumroad, Teachable, Thinkific.
However, it takes time and hard work to create one and that is the main reason why people do not want to venture into it.
If you are not so sure about how to create your own digital product, CreativeLive offers numerous courses to guide you.
Pros Of Selling Your Online Course:
- Once you create the course, you need not do anything.
- You’re your own boss and you can change the pricing of your courses anytime you want
- You can do upsell, downsell any relevant product to boost your profits.
- It helps you establish yourself as an expert.
Cons Of Creating Your Own Course:
- Creating an online course is time-consuming.
- You need to update with new information from time to time.
- You need to build an audience to be able to make huge profits.
- You need to be able to convince people to buy your courses.
8. Offering Online Consultation
If you find that creating online courses is time consuming, you can offer consultation to your target audience.
You need to build a personal brand, attract high-paying clients and deliver results.
It is not everyone’s cup of tea. However, if you do have specific expertise which is not easily available in the market, offering your consultation might be very lucrative once you are known as an authority figure and have long-lasting customers who pay for your value.
You can check out CreativeLive for guidance on how you can start your own consultation.
Pros Of Offering Online Consultation:
- You are your own boss.
- You get paid hourly.
- You are able to work remotely using Skype or Zoom calls.
Cons Of Selling Your Online Consultation:
- It’s not a passive income source as you need to be available at the given time.
- If your clients are not getting desired results, it will be hard to attract more clients in the long run.
FAQs On How To Make Money From A Blog
Q. How fast can you make money blogging?
There is not a specific answer however it depends on how deliberately you create content for your targeted audience.
With the right strategy, you might be able to make some amount of money from a new blog in 9 months depending on your content quality, proper SEO, traffic, monetization.
Q. How Do Bloggers Get Paid?
Bloggers get paid from their blog by using Affiliate Marketing, Sponsored posts, Banner Ads Display, Google Adsense, Selling their services and products, Courses, Consultation.
Q. How Do Beginner Bloggers Make Money?
Beginner bloggers can make money mainly from Affiliate Marketing, Selling your services, and signing up for Google AdSense when you gain more traffic.
Q. Which Blogging Platform Is Best For Making Money?
Self-hosted WordPress is the best blogging platform to make money.
You need to have a domain name and hosting to be able to create your blog or website.
Q. Is Blogger good for making money?
Unless you are blogging for fun, I would not recommend using Blogger to make money from blogging.
Blogger doesn’t give you full control over your site, and you won’t have control over the ads nor get paid even if you get a huge amount of traffic from your post.
Q. Is Medium Good To Make Money?
You can make money from the free sites only with the affiliate links you post in your blog.
Moreover, you have no control over your blog. I would recommend you to have your own domain name and hosting.
Q. How can I make $1000 a month blogging?
It is possible to make $1000 and even much more with blogging.
But you must be prepared to work your butt off for at least a year or two in the beginning if you want to make $1000 a month from blogging.
Keeping in mind that Blogging is a serious business that needs to be treated like so!
As long as you keep on creating deliberate content targeted to your audience, do proper SEO, proper keyword research, and drive traffic to your blog, incorporate with affiliate marketing, you will not be far from earning $1000 or more.
Q. What Do I Need To Do To Start A Blog?
The first thing you need to do is decide on what niche you want to start your blogging.
Research your keyword thoroughly.
Decide on a domain name and get your hosting.
Conclusion On How To Make Money From A Blog
Blogging is not something you would just start just like that and leave it if you want to make a living out of it.
Nor can you just copy and paste the content as you like.
It is a business. You need to take it as a serious business right from the start if you want to become a successful blogger.
To be able to make money out of blogging, just like other businesses, you need to invest some amount of money.
If you want to save time and energy and get better results faster, you need to get access to the right blogging tools.
If you haven’t started your blog website yet, this walk-through will help you.
Once you set up your blog site, you can start to make money from blogging as you incorporate the following in your blog –
- Affiliate Marketing
- Put Sponsored Post or Paid Reviews
- Banner Ads Display
- Google AdSense
- Selling Your Services
- Selling Digital Products
- Selling Online Courses
- Offer Consultation Or Services.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I will get a small commission if you make a purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. For more info, please read my Affiliate Disclaimer.